Home Archives Profile For Spectators For New Umpires John Slider's YouTube Channel Wesley School of Divinity Virtual Church on YouTube ReStart Breckenridge Chapel
SliderLAX has produced a comprehensive training process designed to produce a consistent "product" on the field by Girls' Lacrosse Umpires.
The promotional video is available below. Manuals, Powerpoint Presentations, and Videos are available on this website.
If you are a spectator of Girls' Lacrosse and do not understand the game, there is a resource for you - Girls' Lacrosse Spectator Orientation. This brief Manual and Powerpoint Presentation are designed for short in-person Parent/Player clinics or for reading on your own. The Video based on the Powerpoint Presentation is found below on this post.
You may also download the file in pdf format:
- Manual: Download Spectator Orientation
- Booklet: Download Spectator Easy Carry
- Powerpoint: Download Girls’ Lacrosse Spectator Orientation
- Powerpoint with Narration: Download Girls’ Lacrosse Spectator Orientation (narration)
You may find that ordering the Manual and Booklet through Amazon.com is less expensive and provides a better presentation. You will receive the eBook Kindle format free.
Girls' Lacrosse Spectator Orientation Video:
At the 2018 All-Umpires Training Clinic for the Kentucky Lacrosse Umpires Board I was assigned to teach the Two Person Crew module to first and second year Umpires. US Lacrosse provided a good PowerPoint Presentation and script as a resource for teaching this module. I "tweaked" the PowerPoint Presentation, added a narration, and saved it as a video which has been posted on YouTube for future reference.
As I gain experience as a Girls' Lacrosse Umpire in Kentucky, I am becoming more and more aware of the need for a comprehensive, unified, and coherent course of instruction for new Umpires. I say this, not to cast a negative light on what has occurred before, but in order to build on the efforts of others and to improve the Umpiring "product" that our association provides to our consumers - players, parents, coaches, and other followers of the game.
My initial goal was to produce a two-phased training process for first year Umpires - those persons I call "Umpires-in-Training. My anecdotal evidence is that we lose a lot of interested candidates because the are "scared off" by too much initial presentation of the complexities of the game or they are unable to attend specific training events.
- To develop a curriculum that meets the requirements and standards of US Lacrosse;
- To develop an initial orientation that encourages continuation in the process of becoming an Umpire;
- To develop a curriculum that is accessible online for persons who cannot attend specific classroom training events;
- To develop a means of presenting the curriculum that would be consistent no matter who the instructor would be.
The centerpiece around which all instruction would be developed is the Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual. This manual is three formats:
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the New Umpire) - this Manual has a text with fill-in-the-blanks, so that the new Umpire will follow along and reinforce what he or she hears through writing.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the Leader) - this Manual has the full text.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (PowerPoint Script) - this Manual has the full text with the Powerpoint slides inserted.
If you wish you may download these files in pdf format below. You may want to consider whether you want to incur the expense of printing or order the Manuals by using the links in the right column on this website. I have priced the Manuals at least expensive price point. I do not make any money off of the sales.
I have also prepared a PowerPoint Presentation that follow the text. I have divided the presentation into two parts for ease of downloading. Use this resource for free.
I have also turned the PowerPoint Presentation into a YouTube video. I am considering publishing the video as a DVD or video download. The video may be used by the New Umpire as a refresher of the in-person instruction or as a substitute for attending a class in person.
Next, I developed the initial piece of instruction - New Umpire Orientation Manual. The idea with this Manual was to transition from recruiting a person to training a person. The focus here is to motivate and encourage. This Manual is intended to be a guide to a conversational period with prospective Umpires. A formal PowerPoint Presentation is, therefore, not prepared.
- Download Intermediate Umpire Manual
- Download New Umpire Orientation
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (New Umpire) - Complete Manual for the New Umpire for taking notes
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Leader) - Complete Leader Manual for the Training
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Powerpoint) - Complete Script for PowerPoint Presentations, Parts 1 & 2
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 1 (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 2 (PowerPoint Presenation)
- YouTube Video of Umpire-in-Training Clinic Parts 1 & 2: