Home Archives Profile For Spectators For New Umpires John Slider's YouTube Channel Wesley School of Divinity Virtual Church on YouTube ReStart Breckenridge Chapel
Beginning on August 5th, US Lacrosse will be providing adult officials, as members of US Lacrosse, an option to voluntarily complete a background check through NCSI. The background check is provided at no cost to the member.
Currently, KLUB does not require a background check for its members, but USL is moving toward requiring USL certified or registered umpires to complete this check.
This offer is a great opportunity for individuals to get ahead of the trend and to save anywhere from $20 to $75 (depending on a person’s state of residence).
Currenlty USL is exploring the feasibility of making background checks a mandatory requirement for officials. It is already a requirement for coaches and for umpires who seek certification as trainers, observers/raters, or assigners).
For more information on the background check policy please go to: https://uslacrosse.org/safety/safesport.
You may also contact the Coordinator for Officials Development, John Slider, with questions or comments you may have.
You may download the up-to-date rules for all High School and Middle School girls Lacrosse leagues and levels in Louisville, Kentucky, here. These leagues and levels include High School Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshmen; JCPS Middle School Varsity, Junior Varsity, and MS6, and King Louie Middle School.
- Download 2019 USL Youth Rulebook
- Download 2019 USL Officials Training Manual
- Download 2019 NFHS Rules Changes
- Download 2019 USL Rules Changes
- Download 2019 USL LAX Youth Exam Hard Copy
- Download USL Training Requirements
- Download PP1 Introduction and Professionalism
- Download PP2 Rule 1-3 2019
- Download PP3 Rule 4-6 2019
- Download PP4 Rule 7 Goal Circle
- Download PP5 Rule 8 Restraining Line
- Download PP6 Rule 9 Minor Fouls
- Download PP7 Rule 10 Major Fouls
- Download PP8 Rule 11 Slow Whistle
- Download PP9 Rule 12 Misconduct
- Download PP10 Three Person Positioning 2019
- Download PP11 Two Person Positioning 2019
- Download PP12 Mechanics and Signals
- Download PP13 ArbiterPay Walkthrough
- Download USL On-Field Rating Requirements
- Download USL Observer On Field Rating Checklist for Level 1 (Apprentice)
- Download USL Rating Form for Level 1 (Apprentice) - for first year umpires and juniors; does not provide a score
- Download USL Observer On Field Rating Checklist for Level 1
- Download USL Observer On Field Rating Checklist for Level 2
- Download USL Rating Form for Level 1&2
- Download USL Observer On Field Rating Checklist for Level 3
- Download USL Rating Form for Level 3
The USL Youth Rules Test and the NFHS Rules Test is now online. Please read the instructions. Directions for accessing tests:
- Go to ArbiterSports
- Log In
- Click on US Lacrosse Central Hub. This will take you to ...
- US Lacrosse Officials (or you may start here)
- Scroll down and click on the button "Officials Development Program"
- Scroll down and click on the button "Take a Test"
- At this point, you will need to sign on (User Name and Password)
- Click on "Catalog"
- Click on "Officials"
- Click on "Annual Rules Exam"
- Make certain that you take the two girls exams
There may be an easier path, but this is how I find it!
The 2019 US Lacrosse Women's Game Officials Training Manual is available for download. It is recommended that the manual NOT be printed as a hard copy, but sent to a computer, tablet, or other device for reference.
At the 2018 All-Umpires Training Clinic for the Kentucky Lacrosse Umpires Board I was assigned to teach the Two Person Crew module to first and second year Umpires. US Lacrosse provided a good PowerPoint Presentation and script as a resource for teaching this module. I "tweaked" the PowerPoint Presentation, added a narration, and saved it as a video which has been posted on YouTube for future reference.
As I gain experience as a Girls' Lacrosse Umpire in Kentucky, I am becoming more and more aware of the need for a comprehensive, unified, and coherent course of instruction for new Umpires. I say this, not to cast a negative light on what has occurred before, but in order to build on the efforts of others and to improve the Umpiring "product" that our association provides to our consumers - players, parents, coaches, and other followers of the game.
My initial goal was to produce a two-phased training process for first year Umpires - those persons I call "Umpires-in-Training. My anecdotal evidence is that we lose a lot of interested candidates because the are "scared off" by too much initial presentation of the complexities of the game or they are unable to attend specific training events.
- To develop a curriculum that meets the requirements and standards of US Lacrosse;
- To develop an initial orientation that encourages continuation in the process of becoming an Umpire;
- To develop a curriculum that is accessible online for persons who cannot attend specific classroom training events;
- To develop a means of presenting the curriculum that would be consistent no matter who the instructor would be.
The centerpiece around which all instruction would be developed is the Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual. This manual is three formats:
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the New Umpire) - this Manual has a text with fill-in-the-blanks, so that the new Umpire will follow along and reinforce what he or she hears through writing.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the Leader) - this Manual has the full text.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (PowerPoint Script) - this Manual has the full text with the Powerpoint slides inserted.
If you wish you may download these files in pdf format below. You may want to consider whether you want to incur the expense of printing or order the Manuals by using the links in the right column on this website. I have priced the Manuals at least expensive price point. I do not make any money off of the sales.
I have also prepared a PowerPoint Presentation that follow the text. I have divided the presentation into two parts for ease of downloading. Use this resource for free.
I have also turned the PowerPoint Presentation into a YouTube video. I am considering publishing the video as a DVD or video download. The video may be used by the New Umpire as a refresher of the in-person instruction or as a substitute for attending a class in person.
Next, I developed the initial piece of instruction - New Umpire Orientation Manual. The idea with this Manual was to transition from recruiting a person to training a person. The focus here is to motivate and encourage. This Manual is intended to be a guide to a conversational period with prospective Umpires. A formal PowerPoint Presentation is, therefore, not prepared.
- Download Intermediate Umpire Manual
- Download New Umpire Orientation
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (New Umpire) - Complete Manual for the New Umpire for taking notes
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Leader) - Complete Leader Manual for the Training
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Powerpoint) - Complete Script for PowerPoint Presentations, Parts 1 & 2
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 1 (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 2 (PowerPoint Presenation)
- YouTube Video of Umpire-in-Training Clinic Parts 1 & 2: