Home Archives Profile For Spectators For New Umpires John Slider's YouTube Channel Wesley School of Divinity Virtual Church on YouTube ReStart Breckenridge Chapel
Officiating is a great way to stay actively involved in the game and enjoy great camaraderie. It is also ideal for persons who have not played Lacrosse, but who want to be involved with the development of young persons through a growing sport. The officiating community is the “third team” on the field and through officiating you can develop friendships and connections with others committed to the game.
For more information go to "Become an Official: at the US Lacrosse site: CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION
You may complete a brief form that will go directly to the State Coordinator for Officials Development, who will in turn contact you and pass your interest on to the recruiting coordinator for state's local officials organization: CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE BRIEF FORM
We look forward to YOU becoming a part of the "Third Team on the Field."
- Classroom Training: Learn the rules, mechanics, penalty administration, positioning, etc
- Online Course: Rules Online Course is Mandatory (one time)
- Annual Rules Exams: NFHS High School and USL Youth exams
- On Field Training and Evaluation (Rating) - MUST include participants officiating live games
The USL certification process provides the necessary minimum preparation for working games as well as appropriate liability and injury insurance.
For more information contact the KLUB Recruiting Coordinator or the Officials Development Coordinator, John Slider.
The Kentucky Lacrosse Umpires Board (KLUB) has set the tentative umpire training dates for the upcoming 2020 outdoor season. With the rule changes that will become official after the US Lacrosse Conference in January 2020, training will very important.
Please notice that the dates are tentative at this time.
The training schedule reflects KLUB adherence to the US Lacrosse requirements for training.
- 18 and 19 January 2020 - New Umpire Training. This session is usually 3-4 hours. The two dates reflect two options in Louisville and Lexington. Only one session is required.
- 25 January 2020 - All Umpire Training (Lexington).
- 1 February 2020 - All Umpire Training (Louisville). All Umpires should be attend either the Lexington or Louisville session.
- 15 February 2020 - All Umpire KLUB rules interpretation clinic and business meeting. This session will be held at a site between Louisville and Lexington.
- 22 February 2020 - Training and Rating Day (Louisville) with High School teams for returning Level 1 and above.
- 29 February 2020 - Training and Rating Day (Louisville) with Middle School teams for new umpires.
- TBA - Training and Rating Day (Lexington)
Renewal dates are:
- US Lacrosse Membership - renew by 1 October 2019. If you are working games in the off season, your USL membership provides both injury and liability insurance. If your membership has lapsed, so has your insurance.
- KLUB Membership - renew by 29 February 2020. Assignors do not assign persons to games who do not have current USL and KLUB membership.
- It is recommended that New Umpires join USL prior to orientation and clinics. USL membership provides rule books and access to tests.
- Access to Arbiter is at no cost to umpires. New Umpires will need to be invited to join both Arbiter accounts by the assignors.
Dates for tests are set by USL. Two tests are required for assignment to games by KLUB:
- NFHS High School test
- USL Youth test
The US Lacrosse Officiating National Structure is a multilayered structure that equips US Lacrosse to serve, lead and assist in the overall growth and development of the officiating communities across the country serving the sport and its athletes. The purpose of this structure is to deliver timely and relevant officials development communications, education, certification, programs, leadership and support that enhances the experience of US Lacrosse member officials and the constituents they serve throughout the country.
CONTACT YOUR STATE COORDINATOR for information about individual and association development opportunities
SliderLAX has produced a comprehensive training process designed to produce a consistent "product" on the field by Girls' Lacrosse Umpires.
The promotional video is available below. Manuals, Powerpoint Presentations, and Videos are available on this website.
At the 2018 All-Umpires Training Clinic for the Kentucky Lacrosse Umpires Board I was assigned to teach the Two Person Crew module to first and second year Umpires. US Lacrosse provided a good PowerPoint Presentation and script as a resource for teaching this module. I "tweaked" the PowerPoint Presentation, added a narration, and saved it as a video which has been posted on YouTube for future reference.
As I gain experience as a Girls' Lacrosse Umpire in Kentucky, I am becoming more and more aware of the need for a comprehensive, unified, and coherent course of instruction for new Umpires. I say this, not to cast a negative light on what has occurred before, but in order to build on the efforts of others and to improve the Umpiring "product" that our association provides to our consumers - players, parents, coaches, and other followers of the game.
My initial goal was to produce a two-phased training process for first year Umpires - those persons I call "Umpires-in-Training. My anecdotal evidence is that we lose a lot of interested candidates because the are "scared off" by too much initial presentation of the complexities of the game or they are unable to attend specific training events.
- To develop a curriculum that meets the requirements and standards of US Lacrosse;
- To develop an initial orientation that encourages continuation in the process of becoming an Umpire;
- To develop a curriculum that is accessible online for persons who cannot attend specific classroom training events;
- To develop a means of presenting the curriculum that would be consistent no matter who the instructor would be.
The centerpiece around which all instruction would be developed is the Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual. This manual is three formats:
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the New Umpire) - this Manual has a text with fill-in-the-blanks, so that the new Umpire will follow along and reinforce what he or she hears through writing.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the Leader) - this Manual has the full text.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (PowerPoint Script) - this Manual has the full text with the Powerpoint slides inserted.
If you wish you may download these files in pdf format below. You may want to consider whether you want to incur the expense of printing or order the Manuals by using the links in the right column on this website. I have priced the Manuals at least expensive price point. I do not make any money off of the sales.
I have also prepared a PowerPoint Presentation that follow the text. I have divided the presentation into two parts for ease of downloading. Use this resource for free.
I have also turned the PowerPoint Presentation into a YouTube video. I am considering publishing the video as a DVD or video download. The video may be used by the New Umpire as a refresher of the in-person instruction or as a substitute for attending a class in person.
Next, I developed the initial piece of instruction - New Umpire Orientation Manual. The idea with this Manual was to transition from recruiting a person to training a person. The focus here is to motivate and encourage. This Manual is intended to be a guide to a conversational period with prospective Umpires. A formal PowerPoint Presentation is, therefore, not prepared.
- Download Intermediate Umpire Manual
- Download New Umpire Orientation
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (New Umpire) - Complete Manual for the New Umpire for taking notes
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Leader) - Complete Leader Manual for the Training
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Powerpoint) - Complete Script for PowerPoint Presentations, Parts 1 & 2
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 1 (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 2 (PowerPoint Presenation)
- YouTube Video of Umpire-in-Training Clinic Parts 1 & 2: