As I gain experience as a Girls' Lacrosse Umpire in Kentucky, I am becoming more and more aware of the need for a comprehensive, unified, and coherent course of instruction for new Umpires. I say this, not to cast a negative light on what has occurred before, but in order to build on the efforts of others and to improve the Umpiring "product" that our association provides to our consumers - players, parents, coaches, and other followers of the game.
My initial goal was to produce a two-phased training process for first year Umpires - those persons I call "Umpires-in-Training. My anecdotal evidence is that we lose a lot of interested candidates because the are "scared off" by too much initial presentation of the complexities of the game or they are unable to attend specific training events.
- To develop a curriculum that meets the requirements and standards of US Lacrosse;
- To develop an initial orientation that encourages continuation in the process of becoming an Umpire;
- To develop a curriculum that is accessible online for persons who cannot attend specific classroom training events;
- To develop a means of presenting the curriculum that would be consistent no matter who the instructor would be.
The centerpiece around which all instruction would be developed is the Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual. This manual is three formats:
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the New Umpire) - this Manual has a text with fill-in-the-blanks, so that the new Umpire will follow along and reinforce what he or she hears through writing.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (for the Leader) - this Manual has the full text.
- Girls Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Manual (PowerPoint Script) - this Manual has the full text with the Powerpoint slides inserted.
If you wish you may download these files in pdf format below. You may want to consider whether you want to incur the expense of printing or order the Manuals by using the links in the right column on this website. I have priced the Manuals at least expensive price point. I do not make any money off of the sales.
I have also prepared a PowerPoint Presentation that follow the text. I have divided the presentation into two parts for ease of downloading. Use this resource for free.
I have also turned the PowerPoint Presentation into a YouTube video. I am considering publishing the video as a DVD or video download. The video may be used by the New Umpire as a refresher of the in-person instruction or as a substitute for attending a class in person.
Next, I developed the initial piece of instruction - New Umpire Orientation Manual. The idea with this Manual was to transition from recruiting a person to training a person. The focus here is to motivate and encourage. This Manual is intended to be a guide to a conversational period with prospective Umpires. A formal PowerPoint Presentation is, therefore, not prepared.
- Download Intermediate Umpire Manual
- Download New Umpire Orientation
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (New Umpire) - Complete Manual for the New Umpire for taking notes
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Leader) - Complete Leader Manual for the Training
- Download Umpire-in-Training Manual (Powerpoint) - Complete Script for PowerPoint Presentations, Parts 1 & 2
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 1 (PowerPoint Presentation)
- Download Girls’ Lacrosse Umpire-in-Training Part 2 (PowerPoint Presenation)
- YouTube Video of Umpire-in-Training Clinic Parts 1 & 2: